Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Creatively Me

Cabinet Door Reused
Remember I mentioned my new craze of reuse, recycle, re-purpose?  Well I’d like to share another recent project I did.  I have a lot of odds and ends sitting in my garage awaiting this butterfly to work her magic on.  Unfortunately it was a long summer with chasing Blue Eyes and Green Eyes around, but they’re back in school again so time for me to get back to my many projects.  I have a cabinet door I’ve been itching to do something with recently

It happens to have a wonderful finish, hardly any scratches, and where a handle would normally be there’s a cutout the whole length of the door.  See where I’m going with this?  No?  Okay, just follow me a little longer.  I wanted something new but purposeful to hang in my kitchen.  Just a few days ago it all came together, and I knew exactly what to do with this piece.  So first I attached some ring hangers on the back so I can hang it on the wall.
 
Next I taped off the area to be painted with some painters tape.  Then excitedly, I pulled out my little jar of green chalkboard paint and gave it a coat.  Of course you have to wait for one hour before giving it a second coat.







So after I put the second coat on is when I re-read the jar and realized you have to let it set for 24 hours.  I’m a very patient person, but when my creative juices get flowing, I hate to have to sit and wait to complete my idea!  But I waited like it said, then peeled off the painters tape, and rubbed the surface lightly with chalk to condition it.  Of course Green Eyes was watching me the whole time asking, “Mommy, is it my turn to draw?”  I promised him once it was decorated a little more he could draw on it.  So after this butterfly waved her magic wand a little bit, this was the end result…


Of course I haven’t drawn a scroll design in a while; I spent an hour getting it just right in a sketch book before I hand painted it onto the wood.  Again, I don’t use stencils, so everything I paint is done by hand.  Of course I'll probably think of something to add to this in the near future, but for now I’m going to pull out another cabinet door for another project I have.  Thanks again for dropping by!

Yours Truly,
Heather Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy, drop this butterfly a line!