Monday, October 29, 2012

Motivating Monday

Weathering The Storm

Happy Monday!  Yes, unfortunately Hurricane Sandy is trying to put a damper on this one for all of us on the east coast.  So most of us are stuck indoors, the sky is gloomy looking, it’s raining nonstop and my beautiful tree outback has lost most of its colorful leaves.  Schools are closed as well as all the malls and stores surrounding our area.  But it’s not all that bad; this is when I think of one of my favorite quotes….

We spent some of our weekend shopping for food, water and batteries.  We gathered all our flashlights and candles so they’re easy to find.  Now we pray that the power doesn’t go out when the worst of the storm hits.  So now what?  We could all just sit and complain about it, but I’d rather dance!  By that I mean make it a fun adventure for the whole family.  To start last night we made popcorn, pulled out our air mattresses and camped out with the boys in the living room to watch movies.  After everyone fell asleep, I pulled out a few of my favorite recipes so I could make some things today with the boys.  I love nothing more than making some homemade soups when the weather turns cold and damp, or baking cookies to go with hot chocolate.  As I flipped through my recipes, I came across one of my all time favorite biscuits to make.  As it turns out, we had all the ingredients it called for on hand too!  So today I want to share it with all of you: my Cheddar Garlic Biscuits(aka my version of Cheddar Bay Biscuits from Red Lobster Restaurant).  For those of you who aren’t familiar with Red Lobster, it’s a seafood restaurant that serves an endless basket of warm Cheddar Bay Biscuits throughout your meal.  I could never eat just one or two, and at one time came up with my own recipe with enough trials.  According to friends and family, it comes darn close to the real deal! 

These are so good with soups or stews, but usually almost half of them get eaten as they come out of the oven!  They’re very easy to make, and just a few ingredients are needed.  Enjoy!


Cheddar Garlic Biscuits
(makes approx. 12 biscuits)
2 ½ Cups biscuit mix
¾ Cups cold milk
4 TB cold butter
¼ tsp garlic powder
1 Cup grated cheddar

Preheat oven to 400 ยบ.  Combine biscuit mix and cold butter till it resembles a crumb topping.  Add cheese, milk and garlic then mix by hand.  Drop ¼ cup portions on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake 15-17 minutes.  While baking, make garlic butter to brush tops of biscuits with after their done.

Garlic Butter
4 TB melted butter
1/2 tsp parsley
1 tsp garlic powder
Pinch of salt

Melt butter and mix in parsley, garlic powder and salt.  Brush on biscuits immediately after removing from the oven and serve!


Hope you all weather the storm without any problems and enjoy some quality time with your loved ones.  As for me, my Green Eyes just informed me that his dinosaur “Rex” needs Nurse Mom because he has Hiccupitis (aka he needs new batteries).  He keeps making sounds like hiccups instead of roaring!


Guess I better make him feel better, catch you all next time!

Yours Truly,

Heather Joy
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy, drop this butterfly a line!