Thursday, October 18, 2012

Autistic Angel Adventures



What Is Normal?


     Perfect title, don’t you think?  How often do we ask that very same question?  When someone approaches me with it, my response to them is “Boring”.  I mean, living with two angels on the spectrum is anything but what most call a normal life.  It’s an adventure, and I wouldn’t have
it any other way.  Every day is different and full of the unexpected.  Don’t get me wrong, there are good, bad, and sometimes even indescribable adventures we endure as a family.  But we survive and continue onward to the next one with a smile on our face, somehow, someway.  I’m sure the other popular question you here frequently is “How do you do it?” that’s one of my personal favorites.  You see, I consider myself a positive thinker and I refuse to allow the negative to bring me down.  I guess my mother was right when she said “Heather, you can be so stubborn!” I just don’t give up on things that easily.  When it comes to handling all the challenges of ASD, I down right refuse to give up!  I have my moments when I cry my eyes out, or feel like my head is going to just explode….I’m sure many of you have had your moments too.  But when asked how I do it I simply explain it as I see it.  My children have many challenges which our family has to deal with every single day for the rest of our lives.  But I am thankful for that, as these challenges have helped me become who I am today and they have taught me so much!  My angels have taught me patience, understanding, compassion, and strength.  They have helped me open my eyes to enjoying the little things in life, which when compiled are priceless in comparison to some of the big things we often look at.  They remind me constantly to find the beauty in every detail around us, to stop and smell the flowers or even become a cloud watcher, and enjoy each moment in life before its gone.  I look at my boys and I tell people despite my boy’s setbacks they can run, jump, giggle, smile, are healthy and happy.  Things could always be worse or harder, so I am thankful for what I have been given, I count my blessings . . . when you do that you find the strength to take on whatever comes your way next, not to mention I feel like one of the richest people I know!  Go ahead, just try to put a price tag


     Thanks so much for joining me today, I’m happy to be able to share with all of you.  But I’d like to ask a favor if I could.  Help me spread the Awareness of autism with others.  There are so many people out there that don’t understand, not to mention all the families of a child on the spectrum that feel like they are alone in this challenge they live with.  Please share this with others if at all possible and help me to connect the puzzle pieces that are still out there.  Thank you!


Yours Truly,

Heather Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy, drop this butterfly a line!